Minimalism is a lifestyle that can be summed up with one word: intentional.
Intentional living means making conscious decisions about what you bring into your life and how you live your life. It’s about being mindful of your actions and choosing to live a simple, meaningful life.
For me, minimalism is all about finding freedom. Freedom from excess stuff, freedom from the stress of keeping up with the Joneses, freedom to do what I want with my time.
When I started practicing minimalism, I was inspired by these reasons and many more. There are also countless minimalism quotes that inspire me to keep practicing it.
These quotes remind me that minimalism isn’t about deprivation or giving anything up, but instead about living a simpler, more meaningful life.
You might also like:
- Organisation Quotes: 45 Inspirational Quotes About Being Organised
- 20 Must Read Minimalist Blogs to Discover in 2022
- 101 Simple Joys of Life We Must Not Forget
50 Powerful Minimalism Quotes
1. “The question of what you want to own is actually the question of how you want to live your life” – Marie Kondo
2. “Memories don’t live in things, they live in our hearts and our minds” – Vourneen, The Plain Simple Life
3. “There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult” – Warren Buffet
4. “We’re living our life depending on the space we’ve got rather than creating our space to fit our lives” – Joshua Fields Milburn & Ryan Nicodemus
“Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into”Wayne Dyer
6. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
7. “The things you own end up owning you. It’s only after you lose everything that you’re free to do anything” – Fight Club
8. “In the rush of today’s world, and with more than half of us now living in cities, the majority of people are less and less connected with the spectacle of nature” – Louise Leakey
9. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around” – Leo Buscaglia
10. “Wanting less is a far better blessing than having more” – Mary Ellen Edmunds
11. “Reduce the complexity of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves” – Edwin Way Teale
12. “Simplify your life. Don’t waste the years struggling for things that are unimportant. Don’t burden yourself with possessions. Keep your needs and wants simple and enjoy what you have. Don’t destroy your peace of mind by looking back, worrying about the past. Live in the present. Simplify!” – Henry David Thoreau
“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like”Will rogers
14. “The more things you own, the more they own you” – Chuck Palahniuk
15. “Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful” – John Maeda
16. “If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough” – Oprah Winfrey
17. “If the only tool we use to analyse what’s valuable is a price tag, then those things that don’t have price tags begin to look like they have no value” – Al Gore
18. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realise there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you” – Lao Tzu
19. “We always think the grass is greener next door. But the grass itself doesn’t care. It’s the person who owns that grass who’s concerned about it” – Fumio Sasaki
20. “We are not what we own; we are what we do, what we think and who we love” – Francis Jay
21. “We were never meant to live life accumulating stuff. We were meant to live simply enjoying the experiences of life, the people of life, and the journey of life – not the things of life” – Joshua Becker
“Minimalism is a tool we use to live a meaningful life. There are no rules. Rather, minimalism is simply about stripping away the unnecessary things in your life so you can focus on what’s important”Joshua fields millburn
23. “Inexpensive is not a good reason to buy something, & expensive is not a good reason to keep something” – Peter Walsh
24. “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less” – Socrates
25. “It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly” – Bertrand Russell
26. “Want to know how to make yourself instantly unhappy? Compare yourself with someone else” – Fumio Sasaki
27. “If one’s life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, feeling satisfied with what you have, is very vital: satisfaction with just enough food, clothing, and shelter to protect yourself from the elements” – The Dalai Lama
28. “But when we really delve into the reasons for why we can’t let something go, there are only two: an attachment to the past or a fear for the future” – Marie Kondo
29. “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak” – Hans Hofmann
30. “Own less stuff. Enjoy more freedom. It really is that simple” – Joshua Becker
“If someone doesn’t live with you, neither should their stuff”monika kristofferson
32. “I often ask myself, will anyone be happier if I save this” – Margareta Magnusson
33. “Edit your life frequently and ruthlessly. It’s your masterpiece after all” – Nathan W Morris
34. “The best way to reduce clutter is to stop bringing clutter into your home” – Vourneen, The Plain Simple Life
35. “Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler” – Albert Einstein
36. “Out of calmness, comes clarity” – Trevor Carss
37. “Minimalism is about intentionality, not deprivation” – Nicholas Burroughs
38. “Our excessive possessions are not making us happy. Even worse, they are taking us away from the things that do. Once we let go of the things that don’t matter, we are free to pursue all the things that really do matter” – Joshua Becker
39. “We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like” – Dave Ramsey
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”antoine de saint-exupery
41. “So in fact, narrowing down our choices means less overwhelm, and more creativity” – Courtney Carver
42. “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change” – Jim Rohn
43. “My riches exist, not in the extent of my possessions, but in the fewness of my wants” – Joseph Brotherton
44. “A minimalist realises that acquiring stuff doesn’t make us happy. That earning more and having more are meaningless. That filling your life with busyness and freneticism isn’t desirable, but something to be avoided. A minimalist values quality, not quantity, in all forms.” – Leo Babauta
45. “There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little” – Jackie French Koller
46. “I have yet to see a house that lacked sufficient storage. The real problem is that we have far more than we need or want” – Marie Kondo
47. “If a certain item is really that special, display it proudly in the house; it’s not proving anything to anyone stashed away in the basement” – Francine Joy
“If we want more healing and peace in the world, let us each start with our homes, our relationships, our mindsets, and ourselves”lisa j shults
49. “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction” – E. F. Schumacher
50. “Buy less, choose well, make it last” – Vivienne Westwood
PIN FOR LATER!
As you can see, I have a lot of quotes I read over and over again that inspire me to practice minimalism.
If there’s one thing in life worth filling your home with it is family and friends.
Minimalism is a lifestyle that has helped me to keep my life simple, stress-free and meaningful. It’s not always an easy journey but it can be quite rewarding when you find peace in your simpler surroundings.
So find the quote or motto that resonates with you most, and let’s get started on your journey to living a life with less stuff and more happiness.
Are you inspired by any of these minimalism quotes? Share your comments below!