We all know that old saying, “Quality over quantity.” And while it’s definitely a motto to live by, sometimes it’s hard to put into practice.
We live in a world where we’re bombarded with choices and instant gratification. And often, those choices are based on quantity rather than quality. We’re told that we need to buy in bulk, that more is better and that we should always be looking for a deal.
But isn’t there something to be said for quality over quantity?
What if we stopped chasing the deals and started focusing on quality instead? What if we chose to buy fewer things, but better things?
Living a more intentional life is all about making choices that add value to your life instead of taking away from it. And when it comes to the things you buy and bring into your home, quality should always be a deciding factor.
In my quest for a more minimalist life, I’ve made it a priority to choose quality over quantity. And it’s made all the difference.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of choosing quality over quantity and how it can help you achieve more with less.
- 10 Powerful Ways to Build an Intentional Friendship
- Simple Ways To Be Intentional With Your Time, Energy & Money
- An Effective Guide To Setting Intentions
- A Simple Formula for Living a Meaningful & Happy Life
- Perfectly Imperfect: 12 Reasons Why Imperfect is Perfect
- 45 Journal Prompts for Self Love
- 50 Life Mottos To Live By For A Happier Life
- The Importance of Time: 8 Reasons Why Time is Important In Our Lives
PIN FOR LATER
- What does quality over quantity mean
- Examples of choosing quality over quantity
- 9 Reasons to choose quality over quantity
- 1. Quality is better for your health
- 2. Quality saves you money in the long run
- 3. Quality is better for the environment
- 4. Quality helps you simplify your life
- 5. Quality is more memorable
- 6. Quality is more unique
- 7. Quality is better for your relationships
- 8. Quality will help you save time
- 9. Quality is the key to happiness
- Final thoughts
What does quality over quantity mean
The phrase quality over quantity is often used to describe the idea that we should have a few things that are better quality than a lot of things that are low quality.
It’s an important concept to keep in mind when making choices in life, whether you’re choosing what to eat, what to wear or what to buy for your home.
Choosing quality over quantity doesn’t mean that you have to spend a lot of money. It simply means that you should focus on buying things that are well-made and will last, rather than opting for the cheapest option or the latest trend.
Quality: being of high quality
Quantity: a considerable amount or number
Examples of choosing quality over quantity
What are the things you really remember from your childhood? Is it the toy you got for your birthday that was the latest and greatest? Or is it the old teddy bear that’s been with you through thick and thin?
Chances are, it’s the latter. That’s because when it comes to the things we love, quality always trumps quantity.
The same is true for the things we own as adults. We may have a closet full of clothes, but how many of those items do we actually wear and love?
Instead of filling our homes with stuff, what if we started choosing pieces that were special to us? Pieces that had meaning and would last a lifetime.
Here are a few examples of choosing quality over quantity
- A well-made piece of furniture that will last for years, instead of a cheap piece that will fall apart within months
- A quality made handbag that you’ll use for years, instead of 5 cheaper ones that will fall apart after a few uses
- Healthy, whole foods that nourish your body, instead of processed junk food that will only make you feel sick
- A small number of close friends who you can count on, instead of a large group of superficial friends
As you can see, there are many areas in life where choosing quality over quantity can make a big difference. Whereas, choosing the quantity over quality approach often leads to a less fulfilled life.
9 Reasons to choose quality over quantity
1. Quality is better for your health
The first reason to choose quality over quantity is that it’s better for your health. When you focus on eating quality foods, you’re giving your body the nutrients it needs to function properly.
On the other hand, eating a lot of low-quality, processed foods can lead to health problems like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
2. Quality saves you money in the long run
There’s no denying that quality items usually cost more than their lower-quality counterparts. But in the long run, buying quality items will be cheaper than spending money on many, many items over time.
That’s because high-quality items are built to last. You won’t have to replace them as often, which means you’ll save money in the long run.
3. Quality is better for the environment
With the current state of the environment, it’s even more important to think about the things we’re buying and how they’re affecting the planet.
Sustainable products that are made to last longer are much better for the environment than cheaply made products that will end up in a landfill quickly.
4. Quality helps you simplify your life
One of the benefits of choosing quality over quantity is that it helps you simplify your life. And living a more simple life can be very rewarding.
When you have fewer things, you have less clutter and less to worry about. You can focus on the things that are truly important to you instead.
5. Quality is more memorable
As mentioned earlier, the things we look back on with fond memories are usually the things of quality, not quantity.
It’s the old teddy bear from childhood, not the latest and greatest tech toy. It’s the piece of jewelry your loved one gave you, not the 10th trinket from a cheap store.
While memories don’t live in things, the things we choose to surround ourselves with can definitely affect our mood and how we feel about certain memories.
6. Quality is more unique
When you buy mass-produced items, you’re just like everyone else. But when you buy quality items, you’re more likely to have unique items that stand out from the rest.
This is because quality items are often handmade or made in small batches. They’re not mass-produced like so many things are these days.
7. Quality is better for your relationships
When you focus on quality over quantity, you’re likely to develop deeper, more meaningful relationships.
You may have fewer friends, but the friendships you do have will be much more true and lasting. And that’s what really matters in the end.
8. Quality will help you save time
Time is precious . And when you’re constantly trying to keep up with the latest trends or buy the newest thing, you’re wasting time that could be spent doing things you love.
But when you choose quality over quantity, you can spend your time more wisely. You don’t have to waste time shopping for new things all the time. Instead, you can focus on experiences and relationships that will last a lifetime.
9. Quality is the key to happiness
In a world where we’re constantly bombarded with ads and marketing messages telling us to buy, buy, buy, it’s easy to get caught up in the idea that more is better.
But the truth is, more stuff doesn’t equal more happiness. In fact, studies have shown that material possessions actually have very little impact on our overall happiness. Choosing quality over quantity increases your quality of life and puts you on the road to living a happier life.
PIN FOR LATER
If we keep accumulating things with quantity in mind, we’ll eventually reach a point where our homes are overflowing with stuff we don’t need and our lives are filled with things that don’t bring us joy.
But if we start making decisions with quality in mind, we can live in decluttered homes, simplify our lives, and focus on what really matters. We can find happiness in the things that truly last.
How do you choose quality over quantity? Do you have any tips to add? Share your thoughts in the comments below!